Search LoveHKFilm.com
Site Features
- Asian Film Awards
- Site Recommendations

- Reader Poll Results

- The Sponsor Page
- The FAQ Page
 
support this site by shopping at
Click to visit YesAsia.com
Asian Blu-ray discs at YesAsia.com
 
 
 
 
 
Holy Weapon
Year: 1993
Director: Wong Jing
Action: Ching Siu-Tung
Cast: Michelle Yeoh, Maggie Cheung Man-Yuk, Cheung Man, Ng Man-Tat, Carol Cheng Yu-Ling, Dicky Cheung Wai-Kin, Simon Yam Tat-Wah, Damian Lau Chung-Yun, Sandra Ng Kwun-Yu, Charine Chan Ka-Ling
The Skinny: Painfully unfunny Wong Jing wuxia featuring an all-star cast who uniformly deserve better. Michelle Yeoh and Maggie Cheung may be the big attractions, but they're overwhelmed by the assault of tasteless and tiresome comedy.
Review
by Kozo:

     At times visually arresting, this Wong Jing wuxia is otherwise tacky, obnoxious, and guilty of relentless assault on your sense of humor. Simon Yam is the evil Super Sword, who wreaks havoc with his "sword form." Against him are Michelle Yeoh and six other comely females who must join together to defeat him when Heaven's Sword (Damian Lau) becomes incapacitated.
     Adding to the inanity is the fact that all seven women must be virgins, which accounts for about 60% of the film's humor. The other 40% is your standard crap involving mistaken identity, horny characters, crossdressing, musical numbers, and the comedy stylings of Dicky Cheung. Ng Man-Tat is the Ghost Doctor, and it's one of his more typically annoying performances. For every good gag in this flick there are about ten others that fall flat. This is extremely typical of Wong Jing's work at the time and the pain the film causes could prove fatal.
     On the other hand, Ching Siu-Tung's action is inventive and interesting, and the film is hard to beat for female eye candy. That said, the women don't really do all that much to make the film a worthwhile experience. Michelle Yeoh shows fine presence, but this type of excreable comedy wuxia isn't her usual bag. Maggie Cheung doesn't do much either, and the rest of the film is seemingly carried by Sandra Ng (in a recklessly over-the-top comedic performance) and Dicky Cheung (who should be shot for his horrid hyperactive antics). Holy Weapon can provide some enjoyment thanks to its sheer babeage, but any pleasure received should be of the guilty variety. (Kozo 1996)

image courtesy of The Hong Kong Movie Database
 
back to top

 

   
LoveHKFilm.com Copyright 2002-2012 Ross Chen